The CPABC has advised us that there are changes to the Spring Recruit Season.
In these very unusual times, the accounting profession is very concerned about the uncertainty and stress that the COVID-19 pandemic is having on the public, including post-secondary students. Keeping the best interests of students at the forefront, the profession feels that students should be free to focus on their health, safety, families, and finishing off their academic year.
In light of this, the CPABC advises you that there is consensus amongst public practice firms to suspend Spring Recruitment activities, including the implementation of the CPABC Recruitment Framework Spring 2020 deadlines.
The suspension of spring recruitment activities also acknowledges that many students attending post-secondary institutions in B.C. have been doing so away from their home cities and countries and have subsequently returned home to be with their families, limiting their ability to socialize with and understand the culture of the various accounting firms. Continuing with spring recruitment activities could leave students who have returned home at a disadvantage.
These are the key points and dates from the CPABC updated framework:
- While the Spring Recruit offer acceptance date has been suspended, the Fall Recruit aspect of the Recruitment Framework will still be in effect. This is a “one off” change to reflect our unique times. It is anticipated that normal recruit cycles will resume this fall and in 2021.
- Lower Mainland firms have agreed to reinstate an offer out date, which will now be September 25, 2020. This means that students that have not yet received an offer letter should expect to not receive one until September 25 or later. The offer acceptance deadline on such letters will be October 9, 2020.
- Any students currently holding offer letters with a June 26, 2020 acceptance dates will receive new offer letters, with a new acceptance deadline of October 9, 2020.
- As per the original 2020 framework, students currently completing a co-op work term with a firm MAY receive an offer letter from their current firm (with no prescribed acceptance deadline), but will not receive offer letters from other firms until September 25 or later.
- For more information please use the link below to the CPABC website
- UPDATED 2020 CPABC Post-secondary Recruitment Framework – Lower Mainland (1)
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Langara Accounting Club Executives